When we talk about mushrooms, what comes to mind? Shiitake? Enoki? These are all popular fungi we use for delicious soups and salads, but did you know that there are thousands of named mushroom species around the globe? Some are deadly, while others have the potential to heal.
Adaptogenic mushrooms such as reishi, lion’s mane, chaga and more are high in antioxidants and provide various healing benefits to our mind and bodies. However, functional mushrooms are not a recent discovery. The earliest records of mushrooms used for healing date back thousands of years, used in traditional Chinese medicine practices and eventually spread to other Asian countries such as Korea and Japan. Now the study of mushrooms has become more scientific – with studies isolating various active compounds with proven benefits to our health.
Today, there are an unlimited number of mushroom supplements in the wellness market. From powders to chocolate and reishi to lion’s mane, you can find almost any product to support your lifestyle and personal needs. However, not all mushroom supplements are made the same. Here we’ll cover everything you need to know before incorporating functional fungi into your daily routine, specifically mushroom capsules.
Why Mushroom Capsules?
While there are numerous delivery methods to choose from, capsules are our personal favorite for simple and effective everyday use. As much as we love the wellness boost we get from mushrooms, the taste is not nearly as pleasant with many having a strong and bitter taste. Capsules offer an easy-to-swallow, tasteless alternative to raw mushrooms or mushroom powders. Additionally, each capsule contains the same precise amount of extract each time, eliminating any deviations in dosage. Mushroom pills are ideal for those who want to avoid the hassle and for those always on-the-go as they can discreetly be transported without the spillage and leaks from powders and tinctures.
Which Mushroom is for Me?
Each mushroom has its own unique properties that may benefit your body in different ways. While there are many different mushrooms to choose from, here are five varieties that may capture your interest.
- Lion’s Mane: loaded with active ingredients such as polysaccharides, erinacines, hericerins, steroids, alkaloids, and lactones, Lion’s Mane is the ultimate brain boosting wonder, helping you find focus and clarity.
- Cordyceps: the powerhouse of all mushrooms. Cordyceps naturally enhances cellular ATP, supporting your body with extra energy and stamina to perform at your best.
- Chaga: rich in antioxidants, Chaga helps ease inflammation and supports healthy metabolism and gut environment – the keys to a balanced and harmonious body.
- Turkey Tail: constituting of high levels of antioxidants, beta-glucans, and polysaccharide peptide (PSP), Turkey Tail empowers your immune system to help foster inner repairs and cellular damage control.
- Reishi: Packed with beta-glucans and triterpenoids, Reishi is the secret weapon to conquering your stress and anxiety and unlocking your path to tranquility, serenity, and longevity.
Mushrooms and Cannabinoids
Now that’s something you don’t see every day! We now know that adaptogenic mushrooms have been used vastly in traditional medicines for centuries. However, it’s not common knowledge that cannabis has been used therapeutically for thousands of years as well. Both are known historically to be an excellent source of natural remedy to promote an overall sense of healing.
You might be thinking, “why mushrooms and cannabinoids?” Medicinal mushrooms and cannabinoids together create a potent synergy beyond just the sum of its ingredients. These botanicals with their own individual properties work together in the body for greater relief and well-rounded benefits.
Mushroom Capsule FAQs
- Will I get high from adaptogenic mushrooms? Mushroom capsules labelled as ‘functional’ or ‘adaptogenic’ are strictly for medicinal use and do not have mind altering effects. Psychedelics on the other hand do have hallucinogenic properties, and often go by names such as ‘magic mushrooms,’ ‘psilocybin,’ or ‘shrooms.’ Our mushrooms capsules are strictly formulated with functional mushrooms and zero THC to ensure a clear mind while nurturing your wellness. Be sure to check the label to confirm that ‘psilocybin’ is not listed in the ingredients!
- How often should I take my capsules? Intake varies from person to person as well as the concentration of mushrooms listed on the label. Most often, you’ll want to follow the manufacturer’s suggested dosage or lower if it’s your first time. For our capsules, we recommend taking 1-2 per day, depending on your personal needs and goals. For a more personalized experience, try stacking 2 different capsules together to experience the benefits from a blend of mushrooms and cannabinoids.
- How should I take my capsules? Capsules are meant to be a quick and easy addition to your routine. You can pair it with any other supplements you’re taking or consider taking it with a meal to avoid any stomach irritation. Here are different the times of day we suggest for our own capsules:
- Mindful: morning or early afternoon
- Perform: morning
- Immune: morning or early afternoon
- Youth: evening
- Digest: anytime
- When will I feel a change? The timeline of when you’ll feel the benefits really depends on our personal biology as well as the type of mushroom you’re trying out. Fungi like cordyceps may have an immediate effect on your energy, while others will likely take 2-3 weeks to notice a change. The most important factor to experience benefits is consistency. Try taking your capsules at the same time every day for a few weeks to get optimal results.
All In All
Mushroom capsules can add a simple and refreshing twist to your wellness routine. Think of them as a superfood source of antioxidants and active nutrients to help support your health! Make sure to research and find a mushroom supplement that fits your lifestyle needs and quality standards.
At Plant of Life, we recognize that everyone’s wellness journeys are different. To simplify the process, we want to provide you with a wide array of options to find what works best for you and your daily needs. Give our mushroom capsules a try – you might just find your new non-negotiable wellness tool for balance, relief, and clarity!